Tag Archive: recipe


Vegan-y Veg

Well, you all know I fell off the wagon, so to speak. It wasn’t because I was having an issue with my new diet. I just made crap choices. Again and again.

Here’s the thing: I don’t want to have heart disease. I don’t want to have a heart attack before 40. I know, intellectually, what I can do to change my health trajectory. So all those failures while I was on my epic road trip? I’m not going to let them derail me. I can rationalize them all away. I can make excuses all day, but in the end, I slid back, very comfortably I might add, into the skin of the me BEFORE my last physical. The Now Me, refuses to let that derail my intentions, my focus, my goal.

So I’m back home and I’m moving in that direction. I know from past experience that whole hog isn’t a successful road for me, but just knowing my end game seems to help me make the right decisions in the here and now. I have to plan and move in a general direction before I make the leap. So I’m back to moving in the general direction.

Today, I didn’t rule the roost with my choices. I had Chick-fil-A for lunch. Really it was more out of hunger and extreme tiredness than anything else, but there you are, I made a shit decision. My sandwich was on wheat… That’s about as good as I can claim. Oh, and it was dry.

Tonight, though, I’m happy to say that I made good decisions. I chose to have a veg bowl that consisted of black beans, corn, pico, avocados and nutritional yeast. It was yummy! I also had some cooked polenta patties. This is where my non- E2 happened with this meal. I sautéed those patties in coconut oil. Not much, but any is not E2 compliant.

Last night I made a version of my signature lettuce wraps without meat. It tasted delicious, but the veg was WAY too… oh, I don’t know SMALL. I used my food processor to cut up all the veg because I was in a hurry. The result was a moderately pasty concoction that tasted like the real deal. Next time I won’t be using my food processor to chop the veg.

For now: T’s Lettuce Wraps

1/2 cup soy sauce

8 tsp fish sauce

5 tsp sugar

2 shallots finely diced

6 cloves of garlic, minced

2 jalopeno peppers, de-veined, de-seeded and finely diced

4 tblsp fresh ginger,grated

1 bag or more baby spinach cut down into “strips”

1 bag grated carrots

1 pkg sliced, fresh mushrooms diced

2 cans water chestnuts diced

1 can black beans, vegetarian, drained and rinsed

1 pkg ground Seitan

Melt 3 tbsp coconut oil in a hot wok. Add jalapeño, ginger, shallot and garlic to the oil. Sauté for about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add “meat”: black beans and Seitan (you could add cooked lentils here if you wished). Sauté for about 4 minutes to infuse the beans and Seitan with the flavors. In a separate bowl, make the sauce: soy sauce, fish oil, sugar. (I recommend doubling this part.) (Also to make it vegan, skip the fish sauce and add the juice of 2-3 limes. To make it E2 compliant, skip the sugar and add 2 tsp of honey, sauté everything in veg broth, and use Tamari instead of Soy sauce.)  Add veg: spinach, mushrooms, carrots, water chestnuts. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the everything is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes more.

Serve with big iceberg lettuce leaves, or bibb lettuce leaves as the wraps. Fill the wraps with the filling made above and brown rice.

Advertisements

First Meal

I did research. I wrote recipe lists. I wrote menus. I wrote two grocery lists. I bought groceries.

It is the freakiest; second place to scariest, thing I’ve done EVER.

With my new menu/grocery list, I bought E2 diet apropo things. Then I made an entirely VEGAN dinner tonight.

ZOH-MAH-GAWD!

It was de-LISH-ous.

Now it wasn’t entirely E2 friendly because, well, I used sesame oil. HEY, it was veggie stir-fry OKAY? It was Asian inspired. I stir-fried with vegetable broth! BROTH! This, my friends, isn’t stir-frying. It’s sort of a simmer/steam. I added, maybe, a teaspoon of sesame oil to my “sauce” because that’s what you do when you are cheating, but not cheating. I didn’t feel bad about it either because look, last week? Last week, I would have used three or more tablespoons of oil, probably coconut but possibly peanut, to stir-fry my veg. And I’d have added chicken. And steamed white rice.

This meal was entirely plant based, and except for the smidge of oil, it was E2 happy. Take THAT cholesterol!

I’ve also started up my food journal again. I always stop when I’m eating crap foods because who wants to make a log of that? You can see it written all over my body thankyouverymuch. Anyway. I’ve started that food journal again and yesterday was a really good day. I consumed less that 1200 calories without trying.

NOTE: I’m not really counting calories because I’m in this for the lowering of the cholesterol, but weight loss would be nice. I’m wanting this journal to show me in numbers and with hard evidence that I CAN do healthy on a regular basis. I’d like to see what the changes I’m making do to my health and then I can go back and say, “This is what I did.”

Anyway. I was floored to see that I’d eaten foods, had snacks, and wasn’t hungry all day just by switching up the types of food. I’m quite proud of myself and that helps with motivation going forward.

My whole food/plant based Pinterest recipe board (now with recipes!)

I didn’t take a picture, but here’s the recipe of the meal from last night. It’s my own creation so there is no pin.

Ginger Sesame Stir-fry

  • Veggies (whichever kind you like. I used bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, two colors of bell peppers, yellow squash, and celery) between 1 and 1.5 lbs
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce or Tamari (or you can skip this and just spritz your bowl with Bragg’s Liquid Aminos after all the cooking)
  • 1 tsp Sesame Oil
  • grapefruit juice (I cut one in half and juiced one half)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh Ginger (I recommend grating your own as opposed to buying jarred ginger. You can grate a whole root and freeze what you don’t use.)
  • 2 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper (again, freeze what you don’t use)
  • 3 garlic cloves; pressed
  • optional 1.5 tablespoons finely chopped shallots (again with the freezing)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth

Get your wok hot. Add half the veg broth along with the garlic, jalapeño pepper, ginger and shallots. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes. It will be very fragrant. Add veg and rest of the broth. Stir to coat all veg. At this point you can cover your wok and steam it, but you should stir every so often to keep the cooking even and to make sure everything get good and flavored by your spices (add more broth if you need to). In the meantime, you mix your soy sauce, sesame oil and grapefruit juice in a bowl. When your veg is done to your liking, I like mine hot but still a little crunchy, so I steamed them for about 5-7 minutes. Near the end, add your sauce and stir. Cook one minute more. Serve over steamed brown rice. Yum!

You may not know this about me, but I like to cook. I’m actually, pretty good, too.

A few years ago, I decided to start making mac-n-cheese from scratch. I found a couple of really good recipes and worked it until I’d made a dish of cheesy mac with which I was happy. I started with this recipe from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food. The adults loved it, but the kids wouldn’t touch it with their eating utensils. (They wanted the fake-y orange of blue box Kraft).

Well, you see, white cheeses melt smoother than the yellow ones, so I wasn’t about to compromise on the color, but what I did do was halve the amount of white cheddar and make up the difference with white American. HOOO-BOY! It’s so good!

But it is very labor intensive. Bring milk to a boil. That, in and of itself, takes time because too high a temperature, and you scorch the milk. Once it’s boiling, you add the cream cheese that has been cut up into little cubes (cutting cream cheese is no picnic, folks). Freeze it a little you say? Well, you really want it almost room temp so that you don’t lose the boil on your milk too much. Oh, and about that, you add the cream cheese a little at a time until it’s fully melted and then add more to, you guessed it, avoid lowering the temp of the milk too much.

Once all the cream cheese is incorporated, you add the grated cheddar/american, again, a little at a time to preserve that milk temp. This takes a little longer. All the while you must be stir-stir-stirring! Once the cheese sauce is done, you stir in the already cooked noodles before dumping the entire concoction into a casserole dish and put it in the oven for 25 minutes. Then, adding the buttered breadcrumbs before cooking it five minutes more (or however long it takes to brown the crumbs).

Most Delicious!

Well, it’s a lot, and it makes big dinners like Thanksgiving and Christmas veritable scheduling nightmares. BUT about a year ago, maybe less, a recipe came into my possession for crockpot cheesy mac. I studied the recipe and decided to go for it. I began substituting my own ingredients for the ones on this new, anonymous recipe. And VOILA!

Now, the very involved mac-n-cheese is prettier, but this is JUST THE SAME taste wise. I can’t believe how great it is with so much less effort.

You should try it.

Seriously.

You’ll thank me.

Here it is, my recipe:

T’s Cheesy Mac

Either spray the inside of your crockpot with non-stick spray, butter it, or line it with a crockpot liner. Then mix in your crockpot–

>> One can Evaporated Milk (12 oz)

>> 2 large eggs (beaten)

>> 1.5 cups whole milk

>> 1/4 cup butter (melted)

>> 8 oz cream cheese (pinched up)

>> 8 oz white cheddar cheese (grated)

>> 8 oz white american cheese (grated)

>> 8 0z elbow macaroni (uncooked)

>> 1 tsp salt

>> dash of pepper

Cook on low for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I recommend stirring every 20 minutes or so, to keep the noodles from burning to the side. Yes, this has happened to me. Test a noodle at the end of the time and add 15 minutes if they aren’t quite done (mainly because slow cookers vary).

And there you have it! Super easy. Super tasty. Let me know if you make it. Let me know how you like it.